Table of Contents
- What is a Dual Fuel Generator?
- Why Choose Westinghouse?
- Review of the Westinghouse WGen9500DF 9500-Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator
A generator is a perfect solution for providing your house or any outdoor property with power in case of a power outage. However, there are so many choices available in the market, that sometimes it may become overwhelming to choose the right generator.
But don’t worry! We did our research on different generators and their functionalities. We looked at some important factors, such as the way a particular generator can power lights, the Internet, TV, and many other appliances. Then we shortlisted the available options and landed on the Westinghouse WGen9500DF 9500-Watt dual fuel portable generator. It has everything your house would possibly need for a reliable, fast, and durable power source.
Additionally, the generator is produced by Westinghouse: one of the oldest electric manufacturing companies. Besides the long experience and impressive history, innovation is at the core of Westinghouse’s strategy. That is why the brand stays established in the market.
However, before we get into the details of the Westinghouse WGen9500DF generator, we must understand the difference between a dual fuel generator and a single fuel generator.
What is a Dual Fuel Generator?
There are many types of generators available: dual fuel, single fuel, portable, closed-frame, open-frame, etc. And with so many varieties, getting lost in between choosing the best option can be a little bit tricky. That is why we prepared a bulleted list of differences between a dual fuel generator and a single fuel generator.
Dual Fuel Generator vs. Single Fuel Generator
- Fuel: Dual fuel generators use both gasoline and propane to provide power to several electronic appliances. This gives the flexibility to the user to switch between the fuel types in case one of them is not available. On the other hand, a single fuel generator operates with only one fuel type.
- Noise level: Dual fuel generators are almost completely noiseless when running with propane. On the other hand, most of the single fuel generators run with gasoline, which is responsible for a great amount of noise.
- Cost-efficiency: Even though dual fuel generators cost more than single ones, they are more cost-efficient in the long run. The ability to use two fuel systems makes the generator operate without any waste.
The Westinghouse Electric Corporation was founded in 1886 by George Westinghouse in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Over more than 150 years of history, Westinghouse was able to distribute its products all over the globe. Moreover, solely in the 20th century, the company was awarded approximately 28,000 U.S. government patents.
The products of Westinghouse are world-famous for their functionality, innovative features, and constant product updates for a better user experience. Moreover, the company was the pioneer of the power generation industry. It has managed to provide millions of houses and construction sites with power. Besides power generators, Westinghouse also produces steam turbine generators, electrical technology, gas turbines, industrial motors, and many more.
Superior customer experience, constantly-updated products, and a strong team of research and development with centers all over the world, Westinghouse has managed to sell billions of equipment throughout the long history of the company.
Now let’s start reviewing the Westinghouse WGen9500DF 9500-Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator.
Westinghouse’s WGen9500DF 9500-Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator is one of the most sought-after power generators due to its’ oil usage efficiency, which considerably cuts costs. Additionally, it can power several appliances at once with a single cord hookup.
According to Westinghouse, the WGen9500DF 9500-Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator runs up for 12 hours with an automatic low oil shutdown function. Moreover, due to its’ included set of wheels, it is very easy to move around and use for your appliances outside.
Now let’s get into the technical details and functionalities of the Westinghouse WGen9500DF generator.
Power Output and Usability
As we already mentioned, the WGen9500DF generator runs both on propane and gasoline. This machine is able to produce 9500 running watts and up to 12,500 peak watts. This is more than enough to power the lights, air conditioner, refrigerator, as well as, any entertainment center at the same time. The harmonic distortion is less than 23%, so it is best not to use this generator with sensitive appliances, such as computers and TVs.
This westinghouse igen4500 generator is an ideal option for households of any size. As well as, the portability of the Westinghouse WGen9500DF generator makes it a go-to option for using it with your travel trailer or at your job site. It comes with a set of built-in wheels, so there should be no issue with moving the generator from one place to another.
The running amps for gasoline are from 35.5A – 52A, and for the propane, the numbers are 35A – 47A. Both of the ranges are for 240V.
Tank Capacity and Runtime
The fuel tank capacity is 6.6 gallons, which is the same as 25 liters. The run time depends on the type of fuel used. In the case of gasoline, the runtime is 8 hours, and in the case of propane, it is 7 hours. Both of these measures were calculated for a 50% load.
Even though the runtime depends on several factors, such as the engine performance, condition of both the generator and the appliances, etc., the measures above show that tank capacity and runtime are in perfect harmony. Please bear in mind, that the actual runtime may vary by 30-60 minutes from the stated numbers.
The ability of the WGen9500DF generator to change the fuel source even while running gives the opportunity to reduce the overall engine maintenance. Due to the intuitive dial on the control panel, you will be able to see which fuel source is the most efficient one in a particular situation. Moreover, it is possible to connect your major appliances, such as an air conditioner, refrigerator, lights with a single cord hookup.
The engine is constructed with a durable cast iron sleeve. The name of the engine is 457cc 4-Stroke OHV. The engine oil capacity is 37.2 oz. The recommended oil type to be used with this engine is 10W30. Additionally, the engine meets all of the emission level standards of EPA and CARB.
The iron cylinder sleeve protects the engine from heating up, and hence, provides a longer service life. The design provides the generator with a cooler and fuel-efficient operation. Also, the automatic low oil shutdown prevents the engine from running with almost no oil, which can cause some serious technical issues later on.
According to the manufacturer, you should never start the engine or stop it while connected to any electrical device. The generator should run for several minutes without any load for the inner temperature to stabilize. Also, note that the engine will stop when the fuel line is exhausted.
Control Panel and Outlets
The control panel is pretty much straightforward and very easy to understand. Additionally, the generator comes with a very detailed user guide, which should be of great help. We broke down several of the most important components and outlets for you below.
- Fuel selector switch: This is used to select between the fuel type, which is propane or gas.
- Start/Stop button: Located on the upper side of the control panel, this switch turns the generator on and off.
- Battery switch: This should be turned on before connecting the generator to any electrical appliances.
- Battery charging port: The charger is included with the generator.
- Three types of receptacles: The difference between the receptacles is the maximum supply levels of each one in Amps.
- Ground terminal: This is used to externally ground the generator.
- AC circuit breakers: Circuit breakers control the level of the current flowing through the receptacles. The control panel of the WGen9500DF generator includes two types of breakers: 30 Amp and 20 Amp.
- Datacenter: This is the place where you can access all of the important measures of the generator. Those measures are voltage (current-voltage output), frequency in Hz (power output frequency), lifetime hours (the lifetime run hours), run time/maintenance (current run time), mode button (this is used to change the mode of the data displayed) and maintenance codes (these codes show whether there is a need to change the oil or replace the fuel filter)
The outlet consists of 2 Duplex 120V 5-20R, 1120/240V L14-30R, 1120/240V 14-50R, and ST switch. All of the outlets are covered and protected. However, you would need to be careful and constantly clean the outlet from dust and debris.
The noise level of the Westinghouse 9500 generator is 74 dBa. Even though this falls under the industrial zone, it is still in the acceptable range of 75-85 dBa used for domestic purposes. Please note that if running the generator with propane, the noise level would be a lot lower, than when running it with gas.
Dimensions and Weight
The dimensions of the Westinghouse WGen9500 are 27.2L x 26.1W x 26.5H inches and 211 lb. (95.7 kg). Even though it is larger than most of the other generators, this is connected to the functionality of running with two types of fuels.
As we already mentioned earlier, the Westinghouse 9500DF comes with wheels, which make it very easy to transport around. Please note that you have to allow the generator to cool off before carrying it. Also, when trying to attach it to a rope, do not try to lift it, especially by holding onto any of the components. There is a great chance of damaging the generator.
One of the precautions provided by the manufacturer is to not tow the generator on or off the road. To find more information about the safe transportation of the Westinghouse 9500 generator please refer to this user manual.
Warranty and Certificates
The generator comes with a 3-year residential warranty and a 1-year commercial warranty. The allows you to get your generator fuel filter checked and cleaned after 6 months of use. Additionally, you can also get the valve clearance and idle speed checked after 1 year of usage. However, please note that for the replacement of some parts, there should be a particular problem with the functionality of the generator. That is why it is important to read the warranty certificate carefully, which comes with the product.
Also, please note that Westinghouse provides you with a maintenance schedule. This states your responsibilities of taking good care of the generator and making sure that it is checked regularly. You can find the detailed schedules in this quick starter guide.
- Push-button: The engine works automatically and remotely. All it takes to turn it on is just pushing on a button.
- Smart switch: This switch automatically starts the generator when some of the essential items need immediate backup power. Please note that this is sold separately.
- 25′ Generator Cord: Suitable for outside use due to its’ ability to withstand temperatures from -4 F to 140 F.
- Plug adapter: Designed to guarantee a secure connection and connect your desired receptacles.
The average price for the Westinghouse WGen9500DF, according to the several trusted selling platforms, is ranging from $900-$1100. This falls under the average price category, as we will see in detail in the Comparison section. However, bear in mind that in comparison with the huge range of functionalities and cost-efficiency, the price is pretty much reasonable.
Westinghouse 9500DF Generator Reviews
One of the most common praises regarding the product was the ability to turn it on very easily. Mostly the customers shared the extreme situations that they were in, such as winter storms and heavy rain. However, despite the conditions, they were able to turn on the generator without any difficulty due to the remote push button.
Another common advantage was portability. Most of the customers needed their generator for both powering their houses and outside equipment. So the easy portability system of the product made the whole customer experience very lovely.
Additionally, most of the positive reviews stated that noise was not a big problem, as it may seem from the dBA measure. However, they do recommend putting the generator away from the resting areas of the house, as it is not completely noiseless.
However, the disadvantage that we came across the most was the slow and ineffective customer support. Even though the manual was reviewed to be very detailed, some of the customers had problems with the setup and they could not get in touch with the technical support team.
|Running Watts||9,500 (gas), 8,500 (propane)|
|Peak Watts||12,500 (gas), 11,200 (propane)|
|Fuel Type||Dual Fuel|
|Tank Capacity||6.6 gal.|
|Max. Runtime||12 hours|
|Dimensions||27.2″ x 26.1″ x 26.5″|
- Plenty of safety features
- Large fuel tank
- Remote start key
- Propane regulator
- Never-flat polyurethane tires
- Relatively expensive
Westinghouse WGen9500DF 9500-Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator
Westinghouse WGen9500DF 9500-Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator
Westinghouse WGen9500DF 9500-Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator Vs. The Competitors
- The DuroMax XP1200EH generator is a lot bigger and heavier than the WGen 9500DF generator of Westinghouse. Other than the difference of size and weights, all of the functions, including the dual fuel system and the portability, are pretty much the same. So choosing the Westinghouse 9500DF generator is a much better idea.
- In comparison with the Westinghouse WGen9500DF 9500-Watt generator, the A-iPower SUA 12000E runs only with gas. The dimensions are pretty much the same. However, this generator does not have the functionality of changing the fuel type.
Check Out More of Our Westinghouse Generators Reviews
Westinghouse iGen4500 Reviews: Problems, Manuals, Specs, and Accessories
The Ultimate Westinghouse WGen7500 7500-Watt Portable Gas Generator Review
The Ultimate Westinghouse WGen7500DF 7500-Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator Review
The Ultimate Westinghouse WGen9500DF 9500-Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator Review
The Ultimate Westinghouse iGen2200 2200-Watt Gas Portable Inverter Generator Review
Westinghouse 9500-Watt Generator Review: WGen9500 vs WGen9500DF
Westinghouse Electric Company: Everything To Know About This Time-Tested Titan
Westinghouse iGen160s Portable Power Station: One Small Device to Charge Multiple Appliances
Westinghouse iGen4500 Inverter Generator Review: Versatile and Reliable
The Westinghouse iGen Generator Line: Everything You Should Know
The total fuel capacity is 6.6 gallons. The WGen9500DF can run for 17.5 using gasoline and for up to 11 hours with propane.
Yes. The WGen9500DF generator is a dual fuel portable generator and can run both on natural gas and propane. Additionally, you can switch the fuel type even while the generator is running.
Yes. Westinghouse generators’ motor is brushless and provides efficient and high power output.
On average, the amount of watts needed to run a middle-sized house is 5000-7000 watts. The 9500-watt running capacity and the 12,500-watt peak capacity of the WGen9500DF generator make it an ideal option for both your home and any outdoor appliances you may have.