Power outages can last for days or even weeks, depending on where you live. They’re also unavoidable, as they can be triggered by anything, from weather conditions and automobile accidents to animals and human error.
That’s why you should always have a generator for home and business backup. A powerful gas generator will keep your lights, fridge, AC system, and other necessities running during blackouts. You can also use your gas generator for powering appliances and tools while on the go.
However, picking a reliable generator can be challenging, especially if you’ve never bought one before. With so many brands and options on the market, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed and confused.
Luckily, we’ve got your back. We’ve looked through thousands of generator guides and reviews to locate the best gas portable inverter generator of 2022. One of the standout models was the WEN GN625i 6250-Watt Gas Portable Inverter Generator, an open-frame gas portable inverter that can handle multiple power tools and appliances.
Portable yet powerful, this beast has a 4.2-gallon gas tank that provides over eight hours of runtime. Unlike many other gas generators, it can safely operate sensitive electronics like tablets, smartphones, televisions, and computers. Other standout features include a 4-stroke engine that produces 6,250 surge watts and 5,000 rated watts.
Read on for our review of the WEN GN625i 6250-Watt Gas Portable Inverter Generator. We’ll cover this model’s specifications and description, engine and power output, product performance, fuel economy, and more. We’ll also discuss what customers have to say about this generator and why you should choose WEN generator models.
WEN GN625i 6250-Watt Gas Portable Inverter Generator Description and Specifications
One of the most formidable gas generators in its class, the WEN GN625i 6250-Watt Gas Portable Inverter Generator boasts an impressive 4-stroke engine and a runtime of 8.1 hours at 50% load.
This beast is mostly geared towards:
- Home and business owners who want a generator to power their cooking tools, fridges, and other necessities during blackouts
- Tailgating and camping enthusiasts who want access to power
- RV travelers who want to enhance their lifestyle
- Food truck owners who want to work uninterrupted
- People participating in outdoor festivals, sporting competitions, and outdoor performances
Here’s a breakdown of this generator’s best features:
Engine and Power Output
The WEN GN625i 6250-Watt Gas Portable Inverter Generator boasts a 301cc OHV 4-stroke engine that can deliver 120 or 240 volts. It runs on gasoline and provides impressive running and peak wattages of 5,000 and 6,250 watts, respectively.
Instead of an electronic start, this generator only has a traditional pull-start mechanism, so you need to have plenty of strength to pull the start.
This baby can run for around 8.1 hours at 50% load with a fuel tank. You can use it to power lights, fridges, toasters, and other appliances. Unlike most gas generators, this generator produces clean energy that can be used to power sensitive electronics like laptops, TVs, and smartphones.
Certifications, Warranty, and Routine Maintenance
This generator is California Air Resources Board (CARB)-compliant, meaning it can be purchased and sold in all 50 states, including California. It also burns fuel more efficiently and emits fewer toxic fumes than non-CARB-compliant products.
This WEN product is also Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-compliant, meaning that the EPA has tested this product and found that it meets national standards for eco-friendliness.
WEN has included a two-year warranty for this tool. Contact WEN’s nationwide network of service technicians and customer helpline for routine maintenance.
This inverter gas generator has a tank capacity of 4.2 gallons and consumes 0.52 gallons per hour (GPH), which is average compared to other models.
So if you want to save gasoline, consider getting a model with a lower GPH. A great example is the Honda EU2800i, which only consumes 0.18 GPH. Alternatively, you can get a generator that uses other types of fuel, such as natural gas and solar energy.
Control Panel Breakdown
The WEN GN625i 6250-Watt Gas Portable Inverter Generator’s control panel features:
- A handy meter that displays lifetime hours, voltage, and frequency
- Light indicators that let you see whether:
- Oil levels are sufficient
- The generator is on overload
- The generator is ready
- A fuel gauge that lets you conveniently check the gas level
- Six AC outlets:
- Four NEMA 120V 5-20R receptacles
- An RV-ready 120V TT-30R receptacle
- A transfer switch-ready 120/240V L14-30R receptacle that can be connected to your breaker box during blackouts to power your household or company
- Two DC 5V USB outlet ports for charging electronics, such as tablets and mobile phones
This generator also has the following standout features:
- Stability: With dimensions of 27″ x 25″ x 24″ and an open-frame design, this WEN generator can be easily raised above the ground. Its sturdy design makes it ideal for all working environments, including the outdoors.
- Portability: At 119.6 pounds, this product is exceptionally lightweight for a generator of its capabilities. According to WEN, this generator weighs 30% less than traditional gas generators. Use its never-flat wheel kit and folding handle to conveniently shift the generator from one room to another. However, if you want to move it from one floor to another, you should get someone to help you.
- Overload protection: This baby also comes with a circuit breaker for overload protection.
- Eco-friendly mode: Use this mode to maximize runtime and fuel economy.
- Carbon monoxide (CO) shutdown sensor: Like many other generators, this product has a built-in WEN Watchdog CO Shutdown Sensor that protects you and your family by automatically shutting off the generator once dangerous levels of CO are detected.
- Automatic low oil shut-off: Last but not least, this product has an automatic low oil shut-off. This switch automatically cuts power to the device when oil pressure is lost, reducing fire hazard risks.
Every purchase of this generator comes with:
- A WEN GN625i 6250-Watt Gas Portable Inverter Generator
- A product manual
- Two altitude kits
- A tool kit
Depending on the vendor, you can get the WEN GN625i 6250-Watt Gas Portable Inverter Generator for $686 to $980. This is a budget-friendly price for a generator in the 6,000-watt range. Most comparable gas generators cost over $1,000.
There isn’t any official information about the WEN GN625i 6250-Watt Gas Portable Inverter Generator’s noise level. However, a few customers said it sounded like a giant lawnmower and that the sound really carries. They had to use hearing protection around it.
|27″ x 25″ x 24″
What Customers Have To Say About the WEN GN625i Portable Generator
A quick look through reviews on WEN generators shows that most customers enjoyed using the WEN GN625i 6250-Watt Gas Portable Inverter Generator. Most reviewers said that it was well-made and reliable. They also liked how it was lighter than comparable generators and could run the whole house for five to eight hours.
Here’s what customers had to say about this model:
- Long runtime
- Capable of running large appliances
- Great for power tools
- First-class customer service
- Inverter technology
- Maximum portability
- Eco-mode switch
- USB ports
- Product manual could be more detailed
- No electric start
- Difficult to add oil
- Fragile fuel shut-off
- Voltage spikes
As you can see, some customers weren’t impressed by the WEN GN625i 6250-Watt Gas Portable Inverter Generator. Here are the most commonly reported issues with this generator:
This model has no listed noise rating, but users have noted that it’s much louder than other inverter generators. In fact, it’s as loud or even louder than many traditional generators. Several users have compared this generator to a lawnmower or snowblower. They even had to wear ear protection when working next to it.
The open frame is made of sturdy metal, but the wheels are made of cheap plastic. The pull-start is also made of brittle plastic and can break easily.
Hard To Move Around
At over 110 pounds, this model isn’t the lightest. It’s only lightweight compared to other generators in the 6,000-watt range. It has an open-frame design, never-flat wheels, and a handle for portability, but it’s still difficult to move around, especially if you live or work alone.
Many users had difficulties moving it:
- From one floor to another
- From the store to their house
- From their car to their house
- Across a yard or workplace with many obstacles
Difficult To Add Oil
This model doesn’t come with oil or a container for measuring oil. As a result, many users struggled to measure the right amount of oil for the generator.
No Electric Start
Despite its advanced features and inverter technology, this generator doesn’t have an electric start. As such, you have to use its manual pull-start. Depending on your strength and familiarity with pull-starts, this can be challenging. Some users had to pull the start three or four times before succeeding.
Poor Quality Assurance
Some users spotted quality assurance issues after assembling the model. In some cases, the product had an over-torqued assembly crankcase. Some units also arrived damaged.
Why Choose WEN Generator Models?
Like other WEN generator models, the WEN GN625i 6250-Watt Gas Portable Inverter Generator is an impressive product. It’s budget-friendly and capable of powering a wide range of appliances, including laptops and phones.
WEN GN625i 6250-Watt Gas Portable Inverter Generator
However, there are other, more brand-specific reasons for choosing WEN generators. These include:
An Impressive Pedigree
One reason why WEN generators are so great is that a leading-edge manufacturer, WEN, backs them.
Founded in 1951, WEN has created and sold high-quality and affordable tools for over six decades. The company first made its mark by bringing electricity and tools together to produce power tools. The WEN research and development team played a critical role in developing a range of everyday tools, including electric soldering guns, chainsaws, electric engravers, electric jigsaws, and wet wheel sharpeners. WEN also pioneered random orbital technology, which is used in most car buffers, polishers, and waxers today.
WEN has since expanded to include a diverse array of products, including bench grinders, tool chests, hand tools, compressors, and gas portable inverter generators. By 2001, WEN had already sold over 50 million units.
As of 2022, WEN offers leading-edge customer service, reliable warranties, and a nationwide network of service technicians for routine maintenance. Just email the WEN team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call them at 1-800-232.1195 to arrange repairs.
WEN also has a generous return policy. If you believe that your purchase isn’t right for you, you’ll have a maximum of 30 days to return the product with the receipt. You’ll get a full refund of the purchase price.
WEN inverter generators are budget-friendly without sacrificing quality. Some models, like the WEN 56200i 2000-Watt Inverter Generator, have half the price tag of comparable models. Expect to pay around $1,600 for more powerful models and $200 for generators with lower power ratings. The average WEN generator costs around $600.
EPA- and CARB-Compliant
Most WEN generators, including the WEN GN625i 6250-Watt Gas Portable Inverter Generator, are EPA- and CARB-compliant. This means they:
- Can be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California
- Have been tested by the EPA for meeting national eco-friendliness standards
Generally Lightweight and Portable
As many WEN generator reviews have shown, the vast majority of WEN generators are lightweight and portable. Smaller models, like the WEN 56200i 2000-Watt Inverter Generator, have ergonomic handles that let you carry and lift the device with ease.
While harder to lift above the ground, larger models — like the WEN GN625i 6250-Watt Gas Portable Inverter Generator — usually ship with a rugged wheel kit for portability. For models that don’t ship with wheel kits, you can buy the kit separately through the vendor.
WEN portable generators come in diverse shapes, sizes, and power ratings. WEN carries:
- Portable generators that can be easily lifted and carried
- Large generators that can power a house or RV
- Large yet portable generators like the WEN GN625i 6250-Watt Gas Portable Inverter Generator, which you can wheel from one area to another
WEN generators’ wattage output ranges from 1,250 watts to 13,000 watts.
Easy To Use
WEN generators are also easy to use. They typically come with:
- Light indicators for oil levels and generator status
- Overload protection
- Eco-friendly mode
- CO shutdown sensor
- Automatic low oil shut-off
Dual Fuel Usage
WEN also manufactures dual fuel generators. Unlike traditional gasoline generators, these beasts allow you to switch from gasoline to propane. Just use a switch or dial to switch between the two fuel types.
Keep in mind that you can run dual fuel generators with only one type of fuel. For example, you can run the WEN DF1100T 11,000/8,300-Watt Dual Fuel Gasoline and Propane Powered Electric Start Portable Generator on just gasoline or propane.
Dual fuel generators offer many advantages, including:
- Reliability: With two usable fuel types, you’re less likely to run out of options. Depending on your area, you may have more access to gasoline or propane. Dual fuel generators allow you to use both and rely on one type until you can stock up on the other.
- Safety: Propane is usually sealed safely in tanks, making it safer to store than gasoline. Gasoline is also more flammable.
Inverter vs Standard Generators
WEN generators are designed in the United States, but they are manufactured in China.
WEN offers a two-year warranty for its generators. WEN’s sole obligation under this warranty is to replace defective parts that have not been subjected to alteration, abuse, misrepair, normal wear and tear, or careless handling by individuals other than WEN.
To make a claim under warranty, contact techsupport@wenproducts or 1-800-232-1195 with the following information:
• Shipping address
• Phone number
• Serial number
• Required part numbers
• Copy of your proof of purchase (i.e., receipt or email) that clearly states the month and year of purchase and the place of purchase
The place of purchase must be a direct vendor of WEN. Buying your generator through a third-party vendor, such as a pawn shop or secondhand merchant, will void the warranty.
You can buy WEN generators from the WEN website or through other retailers, including:
• Home Depot
Yes, you should add fuel stabilizer to your WEN generator before storing it, especially if it has gas in the fuel tank. If you don’t mix in fuel stabilizer, your generator may not start the next time you use it. Fuel stabilizer prevents gas from gumming and degrading the carburetor.
1.) Follow these steps to add fuel stabilizer to your generator:
2.) Add the correct amount of fuel stabilizer to the tank. WEN recommends Sta-Bil 360 if you don’t know which brand to use. Generally, a good ratio is one oz. of stabilizer per 2.5 gallons of fuel., but check the recommendations on your bottle.
3.) Run the engine for 10 minutes, which allows the treated fuel to go through the carburetor and engine.
4.) Follow the directions in your product manual to shut down the generator.
Your generator is now ready for storage.
Unlike traditional gas generators, inverter gas generators throttle the engine instead of running full tilt. They also have a rectifier for turning AC electricity into DC power, which is the type of power used in batteries. As a result, inverter generators can power and recharge battery-operated devices.
There are two main types of inverter generators:
Closed-frame: Quiet and compact, these inverters have protective shells that contain noise and absorb insulation, reducing their acoustic impact. They’re lightweight and suitable for powering small appliances.
Open-frame: As their name suggests, open-frame inverters have no outer shell, making them louder than their closed-frame counterparts. However, they’re still quieter than traditional generators. Open-framed generators can power small appliances as well as larger ones.
To determine whether your WEN generator can charge phones and laptops, look at what kind of energy it produces. If it produces clean power in a pure sine wave, you can use it to power sensitive electronics, including phones and laptops.
Other appliances that require pure sine wave inverters include:
• Some TVs
• Medical equipment
• CPAP machines with humidifiers
• Laser printers
• Cordless tool battery chargers
There are many reasons why your generator isn’t starting. These include:
• It’s out of gas. Check the gas tank to see if there’s enough gasoline. Add gasoline as needed.
• The battery is dead. Electric-start generator batteries may lose charge over time. Start the generator with the manual pull starter to kickstart the battery. If your unit doesn’t have a manual pull starter, you may need to use a third-party battery charger.
• The fuel valve is clogged or closed. The fuel valve may be clogged if your fuel tank is full but your generator refuses to start. The fuel valve controls the fuel flow from the fuel tank to the carburetor.
• The spark plug needs to be replaced. Build-up and debris in your spark plug can prevent your generator from starting. To see whether your plug needs to be replaced, use a spark plug wrench to remove the spark plug. Clean the plug with a knife as needed.
• The carburetor is air-locked or clogged. Finally, your carburetor may be air-locked or clogged. This is especially likely to happen if you’ve stored your generator for a long time without draining the carburetor. Turn off the fuel valve and open the carburetor drain to fix this. You can also remove the whole carburetor bowl to clean out stale fuel.